Sunday, April 6, 2008

Weekend Fun

I spent this past weekend back home on the farm. On Thursday afternoon I talked to my dad and he asked me to go home and help out on the ranch. He told me that there was kind of an emergency, but he didn't tell me what it was. When I arrived home I was welcomed by escaped cattle and dying chickens. While the chickens were a big deal, the escaped cattle had priority. For some reason, unknown by our help, 50 steers had escaped from the pasture that they were in. This means that there was 50 head of crazy cattle roaming the woods and highways around our farm. We got lucky because about 30 or 35 of the steers wandered their way back into the pasture when we put out feed, but this still meant that there were about 15 still out running through the woods. After a few hours of searching, night began to fall. This posed another problem, not being able to see. We decided that there was nothing we could do at night so we just went home. Well that next morning, as luck would have it, all of the cattle were back in the pasture. During the night, the steers that we already caught must have lured the escapees back. I was really excited to see that the cattle had returned, and I didn't have to do anything. I was then able to turn my attention to the dying chickens. There was really nothing that I could do about that either except for just turning on more fans and improving the air quality in the house.

8 comments:

mollyanne700 said...

Wow, that does sound fun! I want to live on a farm.

Evan said...

damn me too.
Do you get to waste coyotes and what not?

Blogging for Dummies said...

Yeah, but we don't just go looking for them. But if they show up they are fun to shoot.

Evan said...

Yeah, I've been wanting to go yote hunting but all the landowners I know don't mind them because they don't have any livestock. So I don't want to really kill any that aren't a problem.......

Sparky said...

So the dying chickens . . . I mean, how many chickens are in one place? Were they dying because they were sick? Or just hot? Or is it just one of those "take your best guess" kind of things?

I think that would make me nervous, having things dying, not knowing why. I think this probably rules me out for farming--I get upset when a houseplant dies and I can't figure out why, much less something I make my livelihood on.

Good that the cows came back on their own. nice of them to cooperate!

Evan said...

yeah id be worried about west nile or bird flu haha

Nick said...

this is some good times...reminds me of back home...my uncle hit a steer on a highway once..its had escaped and wondered out to the road...glad you guys got all of them back...and yes coyote hunting is kinda fun evan

Blogging for Dummies said...

There are between 23000 and 24000 in each house. When they get big and its really hot, then yes, they die because they get too hot. When they are little, the ones that die are the ones that are kind of runty and that can't survive on their own. Sometimes they get a little sick, but there are vaccines that you can put into their water that help that.